Monday, April 29, 2013

Rhyme Time

My kids love making word family charts.  It is fun to see their excitement at being able to read and write more words than they thought possible.  For so long, we would make the charts, I would hang them up in the room, and that would be about it.  Yes, they would use the charts in the literacy centers, Read (and Write) Around the Room, but I knew that we could use them for more.  I wanted something to supplement the charts that would provide segmenting and blending practice, have space available for picture clues, and give ongoing skills practice.  The Rhyme Time booklet was just the answer. 
  
 
CVC Rhyme Time Booklet Cover Click here to find out more.

Rhyme Time for Common Word Families.
Click here to find out more.


I begin in the late fall by introducing one CVC word family per week.  In the beginning, we complete the class anchor chart together (bought at a teacher supply store) and then record those words in Rhyme Time together.  Within a couple of weeks, we still do the class anchor chart together, but the kids are ready to work independently in the booklet.  It then becomes a weekly literacy center and class favorite. 

I love hearing kids segment the onset/rime.  I love seeing their excitement at reading so many words.   I love hearing them sing the list to Dr Jean's song "Rime Time."  (Tune of "Addams Family")  I love the 15 weeks of ongoing practice.  I love that the kids know exactly what to do for 15 weeks.  I love that it is a center with materials ready to go for 15 weeks.  I love that when we finish the CVC Rhyme Time, I have another Rhyme Time booklet for common word families for the end of the year.   I Love, Love, Love these booklets! 

No comments:

Post a Comment